- 1 c. organic unbleached white flour
- 3/4 c. organic light brown or raw sugar
- 1/3 c. pure unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. melted (organic) coconut oil or butter
- 3/4 c. organic low sour cream
- 2 large eggs
OPTIONAL FROSTING SUGGESTIONS: For decadent occasions spread cooled cake with (organic) hazelnut spread or prepare Pure Vanilla Whipped Cream recipe for topping with strawberries as a chocolate shortcake.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then grease and flour (or dust with cocoa) an 8" round cake pan. In a large mixing bowl (sift) first 6 ingredients. In a smaller bowl whisk the next 4 ingredients until smooth. Combine the wet and dry ingredients by hand with a whisk or mixer until well blended. If using yogurt it may be necessary to add 2-3 Tbsp. water to get a pourable batter. Bake at 350 degrees 25-30 minutes or until edges pull away from the cake pan and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
1/8th piece of cake (not frosted):
295 cals/16g fat/4.5g pro/35g carbs/20g sugar/3.5g fiber